A Travellerspoint blog

DAY 78-79 Juayua

28 °C

Today we woke up early and randomly waited on the side of the main road for a bus to Sansonate. However after waiting on both sides of the road and 4 buses stopping for us no one was going to the place we wanted. Fiddlesticks, Re-think. We marched back into town and asked a local tour group how we could get to our next destination. Basically we had to go back on ourselves take a bus to San Salvador then to Santacio then to Januia

After a morning of bus journeys we finally arrived at our destination JUAYUA was a tranquil little town and Mel directed us to the Hotel. The hotel was awesome, located a block from the main centre, a coffee shop as reception, a communal chill out garden area and an amazing spacious room complete with a clean, hot power shower. heaven.

After we unpacked we walked through the garden and I heard a faint voice say, "Mark, Mark" I turned around and swinging in the hammock was Phil we had met days earlier at El Tunco. The stalker returns haha!

Mel and I went for a stroll around the lush central parque and found a restaurant called R and R, Nice veggie menu but a tad on the expensive side. But we both enjoyed it. We went to the local market and supermarket and bought some supplies for dinner and breakfast.

We spent the evening chilling out made noodles and spinach for dinner and watched some films on our widescreen TV,a bit of a treat. That evening we booked on to the 7 waterfalls trip for the next day.

The next morning after our standard fruit and granola breakfast we chatted with Phil who had also booked on the same trip.

Our guide was a short, fit little fellow called. Doug. We marched through the streets of the town and down some dusty gravel tracks until we got to a gate which led into a small grouping of trees. This was Dougs home, a small rustic hut with a gorrogated metal roof and random sliced up tree as supports. His wife and two young were present. The wife was busying herself with washing clothing on the washboard sink whilst the two children were chasing the dogs and puppies around the chicken coup. We waited for a short time whilst Doug changed into his trekking gear. Shorts, t-shirt, crocs, a machete and a long rope.

We trekked through a Meriod of woodland, coffee plantations, tropical jungle and rocky pathways all down hill. At points the fauna and flora opened up into majestic 180 degree views of a canyon filled with tropical jungle and coffee plants. Really amazing.
As we descended deeper into the canyon we hit running water and followed it descending further into the gorge. As the water flow increased you could see that small waterfalls were now cascading around us and meandering through the rocks along the jungle floor. The sunlight was beaming through the openings in the jungle vegetation creating pockets of light amongst the pure clear water. Dougs dogs had followed us from his home and one of them was bathing in the small waterfalls. We walked now in the ankle deep water drenching my boots with every step. Doug then stopped and said " YOU WAIT HERE I WILL BE BACK" HMM odd we thought what is he upto. He came back minutes later beckoning us to come with him more quickly. I noticed now that we did not seem to have his rope anymore, then suddenly it clicked, we are abseiling down a waterfall yikes.

He had tied one end of the rope to a tree and the other was dangling over the edge of a 25 m high 75 degree waterfall oh I thought we really are going down that. Phil went first and appeared to descend pretty quickly with no real problems. Mel second she also went down with no problems. Then my go, I put my feet into the first foot holds and descended fairly swiftly. this looks harder than it actually is, I thought. Then I got to where the main body of water was cascading and had to drop my right foot a long way down onto a ledge. Thinking it was a strong foot hold I lept onto it but it started swaying around. Bugger, it was a stack of rocks balancing on each other. I lost my nerve and suddenly I did not feel safe and I managed to swing to my right side banging into a pertruding rock grazing my elbow in the process. Whoops anyway I managed to get the rest of the way down.

After this we saw more amazing waterfalls in amongst the jungle settings, including a picnic stop of egg and veggie rolls at one too. We had our final trek to the final waterfall which had a 2 metre deep clear pool to swim in. The water was gaspingly cold and refreshing after the sweaty trek in the jungle. We then trekked back to Dougs home where we walked back to the hotel

Later that afternoon, Phil, Mel and I went to the food market and were treated like special guests by a local man manning a stall. he made us up a table with tablecloth and asked us what we wanted to eat, one meat dish, one fish dish and one veggie, he laid on beers and ice tea for Mel and 5 minutes later we were all munching on fab local food. I had a really delicious fried local fish. Phil and I carried on the drinking back at the hostel whilst Mel did some yoga.

We then joined in with some others from the hostel as one of the workers had birthday celebrations. I stayed out and starting drinking Flores de Cana rum and trying to speak Spanish with some local guys. At midnight I felt a bit drunk so thought I best call it a night.

The next day, I paid in full for the drinking the night before. Hangover aye aye aye!!!

Posted by Markandmel2016 17:08 Archived in El Salvador

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint