A Travellerspoint blog

Day 116- 119 - Cahuita


sunny 38 °C

Today we set off early and caught a coach back to San Jose.

From San Jose we caught another coach all the way up to Cahuita on the Caribbean arriving in the later afternoon.

We booked into Riverside Cabanas and immediately spotted plenty of wild life in the garden, including Cayman, black vultures, jesus lizards, white face monkeys, howler monkeys the list goes on.

We went out that evening to a dodgy restaurant and ordered sea bass expecting a grand grilled pescado. What I got instead was a mushy old tasteless pile of stuff covered with an odd sauce. I picked and poked my way through it. Not happy!!

The next day, we ate fruit on the porch and If my memory serves me correctly I saw a large red crab curiously perching on the stem of a flimsy plant very close to our cabana.

After breaky we scurried down to the Park 'O' national paying a mere tuppence to enter. We bimbled down a sandy path and along white sandy beaches covered in fallen trees. When studying them closely we noticed that huge spiders were hanging around between the trees awaiting some stupid gringo to go marching past and inflict its bite upon them.

After an hour or so of walking we made rest on a secluded beach and flopped into the water cooling down our now sweaty bodies. We bathed on the beach and ate some picnic food we had bought with us, most probably peanut butter and banana sandwiches. On our march back I had to cool down again so I ran into the water like David Hasselhoff and played in the waves like a massive kid. In the afternoon, evening we relaxed and then went out for dinner again but found a better place where they did a huge veggie plate.

Now.... the last day in Cahuita will be one that we remember for the rest of our lives and as I write this blog some 5 weeks on, Mel still has horrific nightmares about it (well maybe not that bad)

This is how the day unfolds.......

We wake to the usual fruity breakfast (no pun intended) and sidle down to playa negro which was a bit on the drab side but none the less it was secluded and a bit of a dog beach. We swam had a drink and slinked on back towards the main town. On our way back, we both had a feeling to have a drink at a random roadside bar overlooking the sea. Well as luck would have it we sat down and the waiter said "Oh by the way there is a sloth in the tree right here with a baby." Well for the next 1 hour or so we were both besotted by them.

In the afternoon, we went back to the cabana and the room had been cleaned and the bed made. Nice!!! (well so we thought)

Mel roamed around the garden with the camera taking photos of the all the wildlife.

Then at about 7.15/30pm we locked up the room as normal and went out for dinner. We only stayed out for maybe 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes and as we walked back to the cabana and it came into view. We both noticed the outside light was now off and as we approached the front door the door mat was out of place and the padlock was missing and there were obvious tool marks on the frame.

We went inside and the whole room had been ransacked, weirdly we did not notice that my whole large backpack was missing and Mels small day bag was missing. All our electrical items had been taken, both phones, ipad, cameras, passports. Oh my god our worst nightmare.

We flagged down a neighbour who spoke English and flagged down a passing Police vehicle. We were both deeply shocked but to give them their dew about 15 Police officers turned up, in massive american 4x4's, motorbikes the lot. No one spoke English so it was pretty frustrating trying to understand what was going on.

The whole incident was very sus as the owner was away in the city and no one was looking after the place, supposedly a youth had been arrested but who knows really who did it and what happened.

That night we stayed at a family members house for free but did not sleep a wink. We woke at 5am to search for our discarded bags. As it turns out the thieves had a conscience and had returned our passports on the table outside our room. Later that morning, our bags turned up with my phone and mels diary and other bits n bobs.

Posted by Markandmel2016 14:51 Archived in Costa Rica

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint